Working with External Resources
Humanitec can manage and provision dependencies that are external to the cluster. These are known as “External Resources”.
- Postgres databases provided via a managed service such as Google CloudSQL,
- DNS Names provisioned using a DNS service such as Cloudflare Managed DNS or
- S3 buckets provided by Amazon S3.
Using external resources as a developer
As a developer, Humanitec makes it really easy to make use of an external resource. You simply:
- declare a dependancy on the type of the resource your module needs,
- use the provided variable substitutions to configure your module to use the resource and
- deploy your application.
Humanitec will figure out how to provision the resource your module needs when you deploy.
Here you can find a list of currently supported resource types.
Configuring external resources
Humanitec provides a powerful way for Operations teams to configure how a dependency on a resource of a particular type is provisioned.
See Connecting your Resources for details.